He knows my name!

My life verse: "I will give you the treasures of darkness And hidden riches of secret places, That you may know that I, the Lord, Who call you by your name, Am the God of Israel." (Isaiah 45:3). For me, "the treasures of darkness" has been the medically-treated depression that I have suffered off and on with for years. More than anything else in my life, I think this has made me realize how much my Savior loves me and has deepened my relationship with God. The "hidden riches of secret places" are my wonderful family and this fabulous craft--tatting! I thank God for both!
I think it is awesome that God knows my name! Did you know that He knows yours?

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Finger Lakes 2014 Post 9--Split Ring Bookmark


Just like everyone in school has one "bird" or "easy" class on their high school schedule... I deliberately picked this class knowing I already knew how to do split rings.  Dani Rotach challenged us however, that if we already knew split rings-- to do the pattern in front side/ back side!  That is a technique that I'm not too proficient and definitely not comfortable in -- especially where split rings are involved.  When you end up doing a reversed ring, too many times, there are too many variables involved for my brain to get around... do you reverse the stitches this time, do you wrap the threads this time, does it go over the hand or under the hand this time?  It just makes my brain hurt!!!  But, I was determined to muddle through!! 

Dani had written the pattern as either a ring of 2-2-2-2-2-2 or as a ring of 3-3-3-3-3-3  but that was just to small for me, so I increased the size to 5-5-5-5-5-5.  I looked at the pattern and realized it was not very "sturdy" and made the decision that it would be stiffened when it was finished.  Because I knew that before I ever started, I chose to make all my picots and the  spaces between the rings the same size.  I think it adds to the design. 

I used Lizbeth, size 20, color # 137--Berry Burst.  After it was finished (8 1/2 inches long) I stiffened it with Api's Fabric Stiffener from Hobby Lobby (full strength). 

This was my last class at Finger Lakes this year.  It was so hard to pack up and head home.  I almost panicked--this was my remaining chance to get something from the vendors.  This was the final time to visit with all these lovely ladies that I wouldn't see again for another whole year--maybe not forever.  Thank you to all who  worked so tirelessly to make this weekend a success!  The classes were great!  I heard the food was wonderful!  The programs and the auctions/secret angels/raffles/challenges/etc were well organized.  I appreciate so much all that you all do to make the whole conference go so smoothly.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart for my scholarship that enabled me to come this year and enjoy the weekend.  I'm looking forward to LAKE, SEA and SHORE Finger Lakes 2015!

6 comments:

  1. I'm quite impressed with all your posts about your trip to Finger Lakes! So glad you got to attend. In spite of not feeling well, you managed to tat some amazing things! And tatting front side / backside is definitely confusing, so I applaud you for staying with it. Great bookmark, and stiffening it was a good idea. Love the turtle charm ( your trademark)! I've certainly enjoyed reading about this tatting event and those who were involved. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! I'm glad you liked the bookmark. I appreciate so much the experience of getting to go to Finger Lakes. I record thoroughly on the posts mostly for my own benefit, so I'll remember details in the future. However I do want others to get a "taste" of what the Finger Lakes Tatting Conferences are like so that they will want to go next year!

      Delete
  2. Love the smooth waviness of the bookmark pattern ! Very pretty & so neatly tatted as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a really neat pattern! Thank you for your compliment!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my readers!